MyCupKates

Wednesday 24 August 2011

[Recipe] Macarons with milk chocolate ganache


Hello, everyone.
I'd love to share my first macarons attempt. 
I always wanted to try to make macarons but somehow.. I was a bit scared.
When I was looking for the recipe with good reviews, 
I found many people tried and failed.
What if I fail?? I didn't want to waste my ingredients. 
Especially almond meal...It is expensive compared to other ingredients,too.
There are lots of recipes you can follow on the internet.
I've watched you tube videos about how to make macarons.
All of them looked easy for me but I was wrong.
I think you need some know how and many practices..


You might think my macarons look okay. Yes, some of them..
but I made lemon curd filling macarons.. They came out a big disaster. 
That's why I'm only posting milk chocolate filling macarons. =D
I don't think it is a matter of the recipe but a matter of some skills.

Before you start, make sure your egg whites are room temperature.
You can separate egg whites when the eggs are cold ( easy to make them seperate.)
No very fresh eggs! Old eggs are better for holding air inside.
You can take them from fridge and let them sit overnight 
so you can ready to bake the next day!

Ingredients

  • 1 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar(icing sugar)
  • 1 cup almond flour
  • 3 large egg whites, room temperature
  • Pinch of cream of tartar
  • 1/4 cup superfine sugar( castor sugar)


you can make 20-30 macarons with this recipe.

1. Sieve find almond meal (almond flour) and icing sugar together and mix. Set aside.


2. Whisk egg whites with a mixer on medium speed until foamy. (Keep mixing..don't stop.)
Add cream of tartar ( if you don't have it, you can skip it.)
Add castor sugar gradually. Whisk on the high speed until stiff peak foams.


3. Fold dry mixture(icing sugar+ almond flour) into whites until the mixture is smooth.


4. Transfer batter to a piping bag with a round tip. Prepare 2* baking tray with lined baking sheets.
Pipe it onto baking sheets (above). Make sure macarons are 2 cm apart from each other.
Tap bottom of each sheet on the work surface to release air inside the macaron batter.
Let it stand at room temperature for about 15-20 minutes to foam a skin.
While skin is foaming, preheat oven 170'C

My milk chocolate ganache & lemon curd filling

5. Bake one sheet at a time. Bake for about 10 mins until macarons are crisp and firm.
 Rotate half way through.


6. Let it cool on the baking sheet for 2-3 mins and transfer to a wire rack.


7. Sandwich 2 macarons with 1 teaspoon of filling.


 8. Finished!! Sweet macarons with milk chocolate ganache.

Here is a Chocolate Ganache recipe by Mathastewart.
I didn't have dark chocolate so used milk chocolate(my husband's favourite) and it turned out great.

*You can use any jam you have for your macaron filling.


My picky husband loved my first macarons. A good complement by him is always rewarding. =D

*Piping a right amount of macarons seems to be important. Practice makes perfect!!

Hope you enjoy baking macarons!





No comments:

Post a Comment